Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Scorsese for Kids

Asa Butterfield (left) plays Hugo Cabret and Chloe Grace Moretz
plays Isabelle in HUGO, from Paramount Pictures and GK Films.
Watching Martin Scorsese chatting it up on The Daily Show last week was a revelation. Or maybe it was just a good sales pitch. Either way, his easygoing, lighthearted interview was a far cry from the tightly wound, uber-serious director we've come to know over the decades. Considering his latest film, "Hugo," is aimed at children, I'd say that's a good thing.

I've had my own first-hand experiences with Scorsese over the course of my career -- first as an intern in his small New York production office, and later while working on an American Movie Classics event with his Film Foundation. While I walked away from these jobs with some darn good anecdotes (most notably the time his mother Catherine - you know her as the mother of Joe Pesci's character in "Goodfellas"- nervously pumped me for information about her overworked son when I went to her apartment to pick up a homemade calzone),  I also cite both experiences as the reasons why I opted out of the entertainment business as a career. Or at least the star-pleasing side of the business that requires one to jump at every command, scurry around in a hushed panic, and suppress the ballooning urge to scream, "DID YOU FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM?!"  Clearly this was not my cup of tea.

Now that I'm happily ensconced on the outside of that nonsensical hysteria, I don't have to think about what kind of plates the great director requires for his take-out pizza or what pants his tailor needs to alter. I can shove that stuff in the gossip bin where it belongs and enjoy the results of his lifelong dedication to filmmaking, which he puts on display in "Hugo" (read my review here).

That being said, I still like to spill an anecdote or two when the mood strikes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment