Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lean on This

I closed out my day off from work/Veteran's Day/11/11/11 with Thursday night's Colbert Report, which ended on an unexpected note with Colbert, Brian Eno and Michael Stipe's a cappella performance of "Lean on Me." I'd seen a few posts about it scroll by but didn't pay much mind until I saw and heard it for myself. I was truly taken aback by how much joy and comfort that song offers, especially when these guys sing it so earnestly.

Lately it seems like even Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert can't cut through the ugliness we're living through these days, though I still appreciate their efforts at trying. Sometimes the funniest joke can't do what a simply perfect song can, especially when it's sung by such well-intentioned people for no reason other than the joy of doing it. The crowd joined in. There was no showboating, no horsing around. It was just pure sentiment and joy. And it made me feel better.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Brian Eno, Michael Stipe & Stephen Colbert - "Lean on Me"
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment