Friday, March 11, 2011

Reviews: The Last Lions (4 stars); Of Gods & Men (4 stars)

Movies can seem rather trivial when compared to the disaster in Japan, but I'm relieved to say I've been in communication with my dear friend in Tokyo who is "shaken, but not stirred." His reports of the experience are frightening however and I wish him, the people of Japan, and everyone else in the wake of the resulting tsunami (maybe us?) well.

It's appropriate then that both the films I'm talking about today tackle serious, or at least contemplative, subjects--endangered lions in Africa ("The Last Lions") and endangered monks in Algeria ("Of Gods and Men").

I was privileged to be able to sit down for an hour-long conversation with filmmakers and National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence Dereck and Beverly Joubert, whose film "The Last Lions" left me a blubbering mess. They apologized in good humor when I told them that the film, at times, felt like "Schindler's List" for animals, but I insisted that it was worth every tear. You can see why in my review of the film.

But the best part was talking to this incredibly serene (and impossibly attractive) couple about their lives in the bush, where they've happily made camp for the past 28 years, their experiences in such close proximity to these breathtaking lions, and their own emotional response to what they witnessed during the filming of this incredible documentary. I could've written another 5,000 words about them (and then snuck into their suitcase for their return to Botswana), but had to whittle it down to a newspaper-sized story. I hope you'll read it.

I also strongly encourage you get to the theater to see "Of Gods and Men," a beautiful portrait of brotherhood, faith, community and duty, directed by Xavier Beauvois. If you told me that I would walk out of the theater with a complete understanding why someone would opt for the quiet life of a Trappist monk in a small Algerian village, I would've said you were insane. But regardless of your feelings about religion, this incredibly acted ensemble film will take you to this place and leave you with complete acceptance of the choices and actions this close community of men take in the face of danger from a terrorist insurgence in their village. It's a peaceful, patient film and it's in French. See it. It should have won the foreign language Oscar, or at least have been nominated!

Have a safe and peaceful weekend all.

No comments:

Post a Comment