Friday, March 18, 2011

Reviews: Jane Eyre (3 stars); I Am (2 1/2 stars)

If you're as emotionally beaten up as I am by the happenings in the world over the last week -- the disaster in Japan, the House's anti-NPR bill, the draconian cuts to education and social programs in California (including my full-time employer UC), and more I can't bring myself to think of -- then the two films I reviewed this week might serve you well.

The dreamy Michael Fassbender as
Edward Rochester in "Jane Eyre"
First, find comfort in the familiar with the umpteenth film adaptation of "Jane Eyre." With so much unforeseen devastation in real life, sometimes it's nice to know exactly who is hidden in the attic. But still, director Cary Fukunaga's version stands on its own and is certainly worth a trip to the theater (Michael Fassbender's jawline alone is worth the price of admission). My full review here.



Director Tom Shadyac (left) and
Archbishop Desmond Tutu in "I Am"
If you're feeling lost, ashamed of the direction this country is taking, or just in the mood to reflect on the bigger themes of life, there's Tom Shadyac's philosophical treatise of a documentary, "I Am." It's not the best or deepest bit of filmmaking I've seen, but the "kumbayah" ideas he brings to the table go down as easy as mom's homemade chicken soup during times such as these. My review here.

Whatever it is you do this weekend, make it a safe and peaceful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment