Friday, September 16, 2011

Finally, a 4-star movie; Potter death march

Ryan Gosling in "Drive"
As much as I enjoyed certain summer fare like "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Captain America," this summer's been something of a slog. But Nicolas Winding Refn's "Drive," which I reviewed this week, took me on one hell of a ride. 


"Drive" isn't just entertainment, it's art. Rarely do the two worlds collide, but Refn's managed it here. It's been years since a film left me buzzing with such excitement and, with a 94% Rotten Tomato rating, I'm clearly not alone. I admit that at least 1/4 of my 4 stars (out of 5) are attributable to lust for Ryan Gosling (on top of his tremendous performance). But even the male critics I talked to have admitted having a "man crush" after seeing this film. James Franco, you have been demoted -- big time.


I also must acknowledge a major milestone in my film watching life. As of Labor Day, I have seen all the Harry Potter movies, thanks to the persistence of the Sobering Conclusion's Ian Forbes, who had me on a Harry Potter DVD Death March of sorts during the month of August. The goal? To catch the final installment on the big screen. With a "Deathly Hallows" double feature on Labor Day, I can now say I accomplished something this summer.


I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. Not by the series (though the first two were enough to turn me off entirely, until Ian made his case), but by the indifference of the AMC lobby as we exited the theater having concluded the mission. I'm not sure what I was expecting --balloons, a round of applause, a tasteful awards ceremony--but a desolate lobby on a dark, rainy night just wasn't cutting it. 


What I most enjoyed about the films was how they matured along with the characters and, presumably, the young audience as well. Until Ian inflicted his obsession on me, I'd only read the first book and seen the corresponding movie. While I appreciated the world J.K. Rowling created, I concluded it was one mostly for children. But children grow up and the films (and I've been told the books) take that often difficult journey right along with them in subject matter and tone. While the third film, directed by Alfonso Cuarón, is easily the best of the bunch, I appreciated how each successive film reflected the emotional phases these kids - and I imagine most kids- are going through: facing adult responsibility, isolation, puberty, sexuality, pure silliness. 


While I didn't walk away with any new obsessions (Ryan Gosling wasn't in any of the films, after all), I'm glad I checked this off my list -- even if I am a few years behind the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment