Friday, January 14, 2011

Review: The Green Hornet (1/2 star)

Jay Chou (left) as Kato, sidekick to
Seth Rogen's "The Green Hornet"
Well now I just feel like a big meanie. I stand by every word in my harsh review "The Green Hornet" but, after reading the "reviews" by the sweet middle school girls on the U-T's movie panel, I am reminded how long-dead that kid inside me is. The kid who just showed up at the cineplex and darn well liked whatever movie gave me the chance to hang out with my friends for a few hours and eat candy without any parental disturbance. Of course, movies didn't cost two weeks' allowance back then -- and walking up that hill barefoot in the snow was also kind of a drag.

For any discerning grownups out there, go see Mike Leigh's "Another Year," which opens in San Diego this weekend. Or just rent "Kick Ass" if you're in the mood to let off a little pubescent steam without feeling entirely insulted.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, every once in a while I realize that child inside of me, who was happy with the flimsiest of plot as long as the colors were bright and flashing, is dying. Sadly, this element in almost every critic I know is a by-product of seeing so many films that we are no longer content with minimum effort mixed with star power. We know that great films can be made if the passion, intelligence and creativity are there ... hence our disdain for The Green Hornet".

    ReplyDelete